The engine number of this racer, "23 - 8V - 1," designates the first
8-valve motor placed in service in 1923.
Acquired from the estate of the great English rider, Freddy Dixon,
this engine has a small brass cover on the cam case where the magneto drive
gear is located. An early photo of Dixon shows his machine was equipped
with a tachometer driven from the same location.
Note the special friction dampers on the fork rockers and the scissor
damper at the top of the fork.